…was the the sentence we asked our guests to complete, at the recent “I’m not a tourist fair” in Amsterdam. This exhibition is the largest expat related event in Holland. Approximately 4,500 visitors came to the “Beurs van Berlage” building in Amsterdam to find information about settling down in the Netherlands, and feeling at home. We were overwhelmed by the number and original nature of responses we received. To name but a few:
- I was al little confused by a sign saying “wildroosters”. I waited a while thinking I may be attacked by them.
- Our (Dutch) company received a Romanian delegation in den Haag. As part of the visit, we want to offer them a typical Dutch dinner. After debate on what is Dutch cuisine, my manager, who is Dutch, found the solution: we took them to an Indonesian Restaurant.
- To offer a ride on the back of my bike, to the one that became the love of my life.
- Bad experience about hypotheek
- Coming to the Netherlands I never understood the Dutch obsession with bikes, till I saw all the bikes. My first time on a typical Dutch bike (oma fiets) was quite an event. I didn’t know I had to paddle backwards to stop the bike. Needless to say I was approaching a wall, I couldn’t stop in time. I kept pressing imaginary brakes on the handle bars.
- Mixed sauna/spa for men and women
- “You are not ill. You have fever, flue, coughing, for 5 week and you won’t get any medicines.” Doctors are like going back to medieval times. ( I wonder if there has been ever someone who has got antibiotics.)
- The discovery of the word GEZELLIG. Very useful in any case!
- Coffee shops and kinder gardens witch are side by side
- Thinking “doorgaand verkeer” + “andere richting” were villages to visit. I thought they must be beautiful as there were signs everywhere.
- In Dutch houses in toilets we can see a lot family pictures
- Hagelslag op brood! When I first came to the Netherlands, I thought adults who eat this never grow up. Until I finished a piece of left over hagel op brood of any kid – DIVINE
The prize for what we found to be the most “unique” response has been won by Judy Klopsma. She and her husband can enjoy a weekend at the “Hof van Marken” hotel in the historic island town of Marken.